JOB TITLE: Director of Music Ministry
REPORTS TO: Senior Pastor / Church Administrator
LOCATION: Cedar Rapids, IA
Who we are:
Our mission at King of Kings Lutheran Church is to Know God Better. Love God More. Make God Known. We have exciting programs and ministries designed to help one another grow in our personal relationship with Christ and one another. Our King of Kings church family values a balanced appreciation of all worship styles, including traditional with liturgy, blended and contemporary.
Who we are looking for:
We are looking for a talented, inspiring, innovative and spiritual leader. By serving the church through leadership, recruitment, training and development of musicians, vocalists, and technology teams, the Director will focus on enhancing the music ministry at King of Kings.
What you will be doing:
- Responsible for leading, developing and integrating all music programs including but not limited to worship teams, choirs, children’s music and worship arts.
- Plan, organize, supervise and select music for all services according to the season, message, theme and worship style in partnership with the Pastoral Staff. Coordinate the purchase of music including new releases, worship and music resources as well as services of outside instrumentalists/musicians, musical instruments and equipment. Ensure regular maintenance and repair of musical instruments as needed.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive music ministry plan and appropriate annual budget. Establish an annual worship and music schedule/calendar in collaboration with the Pastors and staff.
- Recruit, train, equip, supervise and coach all music related leaders and volunteers. Provide oversight for the audio/video teams ensuring sound quality and accuracy.
- Direct outreach programs and events into the community through performances as appropriate.
- Maintain professional competency by attending conferences/workshops. Stay connected to music programs in Cedar Rapids, Iowa City and surrounding communities.
- Prepare appropriate music and work with musicians for weddings, funerals and other special services as needed. Engage with King of Kings African Ministry through regular communication and contact with ministry leaders.
- Establish and maintain a music ministry page on the churches’ website.
- Serve in an active role as a member of the King of Kings staff (including, but not limited to regular attendance at staff meetings, training sessions and development events)
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What you bring:
- Bachelor’s degree in music, music education or related field
Minimum five (5) years of related experience is required in:
- Planning, organizing and designing worship services, in partnership with the Pastoral staff, for a mid to large size Lutheran congregation.
- Demonstrates excellence in music styles with a balanced appreciation of traditional to contemporary with occasional liturgical worship.
- Choral, brass and string direction and performance.
- Able to arrange and/or orchestrate the musical ensemble for various skills and backgrounds of musicians.
- Demonstrates strong vocal and instrumental leader (e.g., piano, guitar).
- Overseeing audio/video sound team (e.g., sound board).
- Supervising of paid and volunteer music leaders.
- Active member of a ministry team.
- Strong LCMS theological understanding/commitment; able to articulate a theology of worship that demonstrates a solid grasp of Lutheran worship.
- Connected to Jesus Christ, and desire to connect others to Him.
- Poses a humble spirit demonstrating a genuine concern and love for all people.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Approachable and relatable to all age groups in the congregation.
- Strong organizational and planning skills.
- Works well with staff members and volunteers.
- Able to recruit and lead volunteer teams.
- Willing to learn and advise on new and existing technology for worship.
- Lead with a flexible, authentic, and collaborative style.
- Takes initiative.
- Demonstrates innovation and has a continuous improvement mindset.
- Able to manage multiple projects and priorities simultaneously.
What we will bring:
The Director of Music Ministry is a full-time position with comprehensive Concordia Plan health care & retirement benefits, paid Holidays. Salary/Compensation shall be based upon experience, work history and educational credentials.